Just to warn you, this is a pretty gross post! If you continue to read, remember: I warned you! ;o)
When I was in high school, running cross country, I had a freakish thing occur to me. My toe nail fell off!
The first time it happened (my junior year), I thought it might have been my shoe rubbing on it or something. When I had changed out of my sneakers, there was a lovely blister under my toe nail. Eventually the liquid drained from the blister leaving the toe nail loose and not solidly attached, accept at the cuticle. After a few days, the toe nail detached all together and over time a new one grew in to replace it.
Oddly enough, the same thing happened the following year with the same exact toe nail! At that time, I figured it was just caused from me running hard and really driving that toe into the front of my sneaker. Again, the nail grew back.
Now, many years later, I have found this to be a problem that has returned. After recently getting back into running, I found the same blister- like situation under my toe nail... under the SAME nail. Perhaps from running too much... who knows.
My 9 year old son thinks this is so cool and so gross at the same time but keep asking to see it whenever I make mention of it being sore. Boys are gross sometimes! :)
Unlike before, when I was a teenager, I only ran during cross country season. I am now running regularly and as that toe nail fell off and started to grow back, it is already blistered and ready to go again! I have about had it with this as I want to go get a pedicure in hopes that spring is around the corner. I can't go ask someone to help me with this busted up looking toe nail, now can I? lol
GROSS!
Anyhow, I am going to do some research and see if I can figure out what is going on and hope that if I wrap my little piggie in a band-aid while running, it will not happen again. Better stock up on band-aids, huh?

