Sunday, November 14, 2010

Regaining My Love for Running

After recently joining the gym I recalled how great it felt to run, although the treadmill was not my favorite place to do so. I had certainly put on a few pounds and wanted an aggressive way to lost those pounds so thought, why not get myself a new pair of running sneakers to motivate me. After all, I needed not only that motivation but also the sneakers as mine were old and had seen their days.
While doing a work event at the Texas Roadhouse, I saw a poster on the wall advertising a Veteran's Day 5k at Elmira College. I knew that I was really not in great shape for this but since the fall weather is my favorite for running I figured, why not? Plus, my fiance' and sister are both Air Force Veterans so I would run not only for myself but in honor of them. My fiance' had planned to run with me but had previously hurt his already injured knee so came along to simply cheer me on. Sometimes, that is all that matters! :)

Prior to the race, a wonderful tribute was had to remind us all why we came out to run. 

Then, we were off!



Running this race felt so good but also made me realize how out of shape I was. After the first two miles, I was ready to topple over!





Ryan was there cheering me on as I approached the last mile. All I kept telling myself is "you just need to finish; your time doesn't matter on this one!"

I crossed the finish line at :30 and a 9:31 pace. You know, it could have been much worse! From here, I was determined to get back into shape and drop those run times.