Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Day 2010

A week prior to Thanksgiving Day 2010, I was toying with the idea of running the Pie and Glove 5k in Corning. I have hosted Thanksgiving dinner in my home for my family and since I was just getting back into running road races, wasn't completely into the idea of it. Plus, the thought of cooking all day after didn't sound thrilling.

My son and fiance' encouraged me to "just do it!" So I did. We all put our layers on for that cold morning and out we went.

I can honestly say that I had never run outside in November, not ever! It was cold and snowing but I was going to give it a try as part of my commitment to get back into running. 

My son was so excited by all of the runners, and dogs, that came out. Some runners were dresses like pilgrims or had turkey hats on so he was really having a fun time checking everyone out! :) 

And, we were off.








 


The vest and gloves seemed like a good idea at the start but man, I got much warmer than I thought I would! Also, the snow kept sticking to my eye lashes and contacts and I was just ready to be done, lol!
At the finish, I was so glad I decided to run this race. Although I was frustrated, due to not knowing what to expect, I felt great! After realizing my time of 29:00, I felt like I had accomplished so much as this was one minute faster than my time at the Veterans Day 5k.